Advanced Design Technology through Analysis Technology
Dynamic simulations are used on LNG plants, including refrigeration compressors, during start-up or shutdown by using detailed mathematical models to understand behaviors through simulations and confirm the validity of equipment design and system safety measures. Dynamic simulations are also used to understand the behaviors of key systems. For LNG receiving terminals, the operability of regasification facilities in response to fluctuating gas demand is reviewed through simulations to finalize equipment specifications and design control systems.
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Analysis
When large piping and equipment in LNG plants hinders the uniform flow of gases and liquids, a model is created through computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to estimate actual flows by fluid analysis and propose and verify improvements. CFD simulations are applied to simple heat and flow analysis and the analysis of complex phenomena, such as multiphase flows, combustion, chemical reactions and agitation tanks. Through CFD simulation, we conduct high-quality comprehensive technological studies and solve problems in the design and development of equipment.
CFD Simulation for Thermal Fluid Dispersion around Air Fin Cooler (Hot Air Recirculation Analysis)
We check the strength (estimate stress and deformation) of extra large equipment, pipes and its supporting structures as well as its integrity against Flow Induced Vibration / Acoustically Induced Vibration in order to achieve a safer and economical plants design.
Fluid-Structural Interaction Analysis for Flow Induced Vibration
Advanced Consequence Analysis
Advanced Consequence Analysis with a detail 3D model of plant is utilized for fire and explosion risk assessment for the offshore facility, in which more precise situation is visualized by advanced CFD simulation and therefore more reliable and practical plant design as well as mitigation measures can be derived.
Operational reliability is essential for large facilities such as LNG plants, requiring more accurate design and enhanced safety, especially where conventional design techniques (Design by Rule) cannot be applied, and there is increasing demand for design techniques that perform analyses throughout the course of design (Design by Analysis).
Chiyoda is therefore developing and applying advanced design technology to design work.
- Refrigeration Systems: Ref compressor trips and restart simulations with determination of bypass valve requirements. Parallel compressor trips, restarts, and tie-ins after restart.
- Liquefaction Systems: Estimating time trends of LNG temperature following shutdown of main cryogenic heat exchanger.
- Steam Systems: Steam turbine trips and restarts. Steam user trips.
- Fuel Gas Systems: Fuel Gas Compressor trips.
- Hot Air Recirculation Analysis
- Dispersion study for flares and vents
- Heat and Fluid Dynamics in pipes and equipment such as drums, columns and heat exchangers
- Thermal Stress Estimation
- Vibration and Fatigue Estimation due to Flow Induced Vibration
Advanced Consequence Analysis
- Ventilation / Dispersion Study for Flammable / Toxic fluid leakage
- Pool / Jet Fire simulation for Fire Risk Assessment
- Explosion simulation for Explosion Risk Assessment